Graduate students in good academic standing, according to the academic rules and regulations articulated in the Graduate Bulletin and by individual graduate programs, may request to withdraw from a graduate program at any time. Students should notify their graduate program directors as soon as possible of the intent to withdraw from the program. The program director will then notify the Graduate School via the special action form procedure. The effective term of withdrawal is recorded as the end of the last term of active registration.

Withdrawal from a program does not constitute a withdrawal from course work. Students who wish to also withdraw from classes should do so according to the procedures in the Withdrawal from classes section of the Bulletin.

Students who are not in good academic standing should be reviewed for possible termination from their academic programs as prescribed in the Graduate Bulletin (see Appeal process, students terminated from a VCU graduate program).

Revised 5/8/2012
University Graduate Council