Leave of absence

Students may request a leave of absence from a program through written appeal to their advisers. The adviser will forward the request, following departmental governance procedures, along with a recommendation to the dean, who will respond for the university. Students who do not register for courses for more than one calendar year and who have not been granted a leave of absence must reapply for admission to VCU and to the degree program.

Withdrawal from the university

To withdraw officially from VCU, a student must submit a complete official withdrawal form to Records and Registration before the end of the 10th week of classes. The official withdrawal form may be obtained from Harris Hall, Room 1100, or Sanger Hall, Room 1-055. Failure to complete this form may result in the assignment of failing grades in all or some of the courses. The student’s permanent academic record will indicate a grade of withdrawn (W) for all courses in which the student was enrolled.

Health-related withdrawals

While students are expected to work toward completion of their degrees without interruption, health-related problems may necessitate withdrawal from the university.

  • Some schools require a statement from a physician indicating the nature and severity of the condition, when a student should stop attending classes, and the estimated date of return to school.
  • In the event that a student’s health problem poses a danger to the student, to patients or to others with whom the student may come in contact and the student is unable or refuses to initiate steps to withdraw as stated above, administrative withdrawal of the student may be made by the dean upon consultation with the appropriate faculty and a qualified physician.
  • Because curricular and course content changes may occur and a student’s progress toward a degree may be affected adversely because of an extended absence, specific time periods may be imposed by individual schools with respect to the length of time allowed for absence from school. If there is a delay in return beyond the allotted time period without written consent of the dean, the student may petition for return with advanced standing.
  • Some schools require that prior to return to school, the student must submit to the dean a statement from a physician. This statement should document that the condition that necessitated the withdrawal has been corrected to a point where the student can complete successfully all curriculum requirements with reasonable accommodation including classroom, laboratory, clinical and fieldwork experience.