Minimum admission requirements for graduate study at VCU are outlined below. Individual departments and programs may set more stringent requirements as described in relevant sections of the Graduate Bulletin. Each department/program determines how to evaluate the individual requirements in a holistic assessment of the applicant’s potential for success in graduate study in a particular field. Additional factors, such as prior professional experience, may also be taken into consideration.
- Graduation from a regionally accredited college or university or its equivalent. Departments may admit graduate applicants with three-year bachelor’s degrees provided these three-year degrees allow the students to pursue graduate studies in their countries. Further, the department will require prerequisite/foundation courses as needed to fill in any gaps in the student’s educational background.
- Required grade point average. For admission to graduate study at VCU, the Graduate School requires a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0. For students with earned graduate degrees from accredited institutions, the graduate GPA may be the primary basis for consideration.
- Entrance examinations. Submission of standardized graduate-level test scores (fewer than five years old) may be required by the individual program/department. Note: Not all programs require standardized test scores. Applicants are encouraged to visit individual department and program sections of the Graduate Bulletin for information about specific test score requirements.
- Letters of recommendation. Three letters of recommendation from instructors or professional references in the applicant’s intended field of study are required. Letters should address the applicant’s academic and professional abilities and preparation for graduate study.
- Statement of intent. Applicants must statement of their reasons for pursuing graduate education in the planned course of study at VCU.
- Such additional requirements as may be established by individual programs and schools. These may include personal interviews, auditions, submission of a portfolio or other materials.
An exception to the general admissions requirements is made for students entering through the Guaranteed Admissions Programs of the VCU Honors College. (See the heading Guaranteed admission through The Honors College in this section.)
Revised 4/8/2014; 5/12/2015; 5/10/2016
University Graduate Council