This program is designed to prepare professionals to work with K-12 students and adults for whom English is not their native language.
Student learning outcomes
- Demonstrate foundational knowledge needed to support ESL students’ literacy learning
- Effectively plan lessons that attend to linguistic proficiency of learners in various settings
- Create assessments that assess ESL student competency in communication and content learning
- Demonstrate a disposition of tolerance and appreciation for linguistic and cultural diversity
- Demonstrate a range of teaching strategies and approaches that lead to ESL student learning
VCU Graduate Bulletin, VCU Graduate School and general academic policies and regulations for all graduate students in all graduate programs
The VCU Graduate Bulletin website documents the official admission and academic rules and regulations that govern graduate education for all graduate programs at the university. These policies are established by the graduate faculty of the university through their elected representatives to the University Graduate Council.
It is the responsibility of all graduate students, both on- and off-campus, to be familiar with the VCU Graduate Bulletin as well as the Graduate School website and academic regulations in individual school and department publications and on program websites. However, in all cases, the official policies and procedures of the University Graduate Council, as published on the VCU Graduate Bulletin and Graduate School websites, take precedence over individual program policies and guidelines.
Visit the academic regulations section for additional information on academic regulations for graduate students.
As graduate students approach the end of their academic programs and the final semester of matriculation, they must make formal application to graduate. No degrees will be conferred until the application to graduate has been finalized.
Graduate students and program directors should refer to the following graduation requirements as published in the Graduate Bulletin for a complete list of instructions and a graduation checklist.
Visit the academic regulations section for additional information on graduation requirements.