Recipients of posthumous degrees should meet the following conditions:
- The student was in good academic standing at the time of his or her death.
- The degree must be awarded within three years of the last day of enrollment.
- There were no disciplinary actions pending against the student.
- The death was not a result of illegal behavior on the part of the student.
- The student earned at least 30 credits at VCU and was within the last 30 credits of graduating (if an undergraduate student).
Graduate and professional programs will determine equivalent progress of students toward their graduate or professional degrees.
A notation that the degree was awarded posthumously will be made in the commencement program and on the transcript, but not on the diploma.