Termination of enrollment
Students that are not making satisfactory academic progress or other reasons as stated in the School of Medicine student policies or the VCU Bulletin may be considered for dismissal by their program. Dismissed students will be notified in writing of the decision by their program director, the department chair, the associate dean for graduate education, the dean of the Graduate School or another VCU official.
Appeal of termination
A student may appeal a decision to be dismissed from their program under the procedures below. Note that times to completion for all steps are based on normal VCU operations and therefore actual completion times may be different as the university responds to unanticipated circumstances. Also note that the student has the burden of proof in all appeals.
- The student must initiate the appeal at the program level within 10 business days of receiving the initial notice of dismissal.
- If the program declines the appeal, a student may, within 10 business days of being notified of the decision by the program, appeal the program’s decision by submitting to the associate dean for graduate education in the School of Medicine a written notice (email preferred) outlining the rationale for the appeal along with all supporting documentation.
- Within 10 business days of receiving the appeal notice, the ADGE will convene an ad hoc committee composed of three School of Medicine faculty members who are outside of the student’s program, were not involved in the decision to dismiss and were not involved in the program-level appeal.
- The ad hoc committee will review the materials submitted by the student and may, at its discretion, ask the student to appear to clarify information in the submitted materials. The ad hoc committee will submit to the ADGE a written appraisal of the appeal within five business days of its formation, although more time will be allowed to accommodate an appearance by the student.
- The ADGE will review the ad hoc committee's appraisal, make a decision and communicate the decision to the student, the program director and the dean of the Graduate School within five business days.
- If the School of Medicine declines the appeal, a student may appeal the decision at the level of the Graduate School as described in the VCU Graduate Bulletin.