Most students are eligible for some type of financial aid regardless of family financial circumstances. Basically, to receive aid from any of the federal or state student aid programs, students must:

  • Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid or Renewal FAFSA designating VCU (school code 003735) to receive FAFSA results
  • Demonstrate financial need, except for some loan programs
  • Have a high school diploma or a General Education Development certificate
  • Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment to an eligible degree or certificate program
  • Be enrolled at least half time (five or more graduate credit hours)
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen
  • Have a valid Social Security number (unless from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia or the Republic of Palau)
  • Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress standards as defined by the VCU Office of Financial Aid (The full VCU SAP policy is available on the Web at
  • Certify that federal and state financial aid will be used for educational purposes only
  • Not be in default on a federal student loan and not owe money on a federal student grant
  • Comply with Selective Service registration, if required
  • Not be convicted under federal or state law of sale or possession of illegal drugs

Students admitted as provisional graduate students are eligible for federal loans at the fifth-year undergraduate level.

Detailed information can be found in the federal Student Guide, available in print form from the VCU Office of Financial Aid or electronically at and on the VCU Office of Financial Aid website.