The major in fashion merchandising requires a strong background in marketing, business and specialized professional courses with an emphasis on globalism. Students are directed toward assignments that will develop their skills in research, writing, presentation and critical thinking. Graduates find career opportunities in fashion forecasting, product development, advertising and promotion, retail management, buying, and international marketing.
Internships provide not only experience but industry contacts, and are strongly recommended. They may be conducted primarily during the summer semester.
Study abroad programs are readily available for fashion merchandising majors.
Student learning outcomes
Upon completing this program, students will know and know how to do the following:
- Implement technical skills: The program will provide students with technical knowledge and skills of contemporary computer software.
- Utilize problem-solving: Apply quantitative and qualitative skills to problem-solving within the apparel industry. Students will be familiar with the various levels of the fashion industry, and understand how the different business levels and segments intersect. Students will have knowledge of numerous occupations in the fashion industry.
- Understand the fashion industry and its occupations: Students will understand the workings of the wholesale segment of the fashion industry including market segmentation, buyer behavior and career opportunities. Numerous simulations and outside evaluators will be used.
- Understand the wholesale industry: Students will understand how theoretical perspectives on markets, trade and economic development can be applied to historical and current data on production, consumption and trade.
- Understand global economics: Students will understand how theoretical perspectives on markets, trade and economic development can be applied to historical and current data on production, consumption and trade.
- Application of the design principles: Students will successfully apply the elements and principles of design to various fashion-related projects and presentations.
- Knowledge of the theory of contemporary fashion: Students will be aware of the historical significance of fashion in contemporary history.
- Application of merchandising math: Students will demonstrate understanding of the fashion buyer’s job with regard to merchandise planning and control.