This is the preliminary (or launch) version of the 2023-2024 VCU Bulletin. This edition includes all programs
and courses approved by the publication deadline; however we may receive notification of additional program
approvals after the launch. The final edition and full PDF version will include these updates and will be available
in August prior to the beginning of the fall semester.
Advanced study in business administration and sport leadership is available through a dual degree program sponsored by the School of Business.
The dual degree Master of Business Administration and Master of Sport Leadership program allows students to earn two degrees with a minimum of 69 graduate credits rather than the 81 graduate credits necessary if the two degrees were pursued separately. This efficiency lowers the overall cost of tuition while also reducing time to earning both degrees.
Prerequisite and/or foundation courses may effectively increase the number of credits needed to earn the degrees.
The objectives of this dual degree program are:
- Content knowledge in business concepts and strategy, specifically contextualized in the sport industry: Students will be equipped with sound business acumen (e.g., financial management, fundamentals of accounting and operations management) and will be able to apply it to the unique sport product.
- Development of leadership skills: Students will be able to assess and respond to leadership challenges in the global sport context.
- Development of interpersonal and professional skills: Students will develop and hone skills critical to the business and sport industry, including communication and presentation skills, leadership and management, and situational awareness, among others.
Among the many benefits offered by participation in the dual degree program are the following:
- Two-years of experiential learning through a graduate assistantship in the Richmond sports community
- Time and cost-reduction through the 12 shared credits
- Networks developed through participation in both the M.B.A. and M.S.L. cohorts
- Career-development opportunities and job prospects increased by obtaining both degrees
The diplomas for this dual degree program may be awarded sequentially or simultaneously. Students are not required to begin both programs in the same semester, but must have at least one semester before graduation in which they are enrolled in both degrees for the dual credits to be applied to both degrees.
Student learning outcomes
See each degree program page for student learning outcomes.
A program manager from each program will serve as an adviser and administrative liaison for students. They will assist in developing a plan of study to meet the curriculum requirements of both programs.