The Bachelor of Music with a music education/vocal-choral concentration incorporates requirements necessary to qualify for the commonwealth of Virginia’s Collegiate Professional Certificate to teach music in public schools. Reciprocity between Virginia and numerous other states makes it possible for those music education students who become certified to teach in Virginia to obtain certification in those other states. A prospective student intending to pursue the instrumental concentration endorsement must complete the degree with a primary instrument of wind band or orchestra tradition; for those seeking the vocal-choral concentration endorsement, this instrument must be voice. For a student who wishes to elect the guitar or piano as a primary instrument, please contact the music department for details.
Student learning outcomes
Upon completing this program, students will know and know how to do the following.
- Demonstrate professional music teaching competencies
- Acquire professional procedures
- Demonstrate professional performance skills
- Develop comprehensive musicianship
- Acquire supporting competencies
- Develop artistic/intellectual mission